Junior Selection Procedures
In 2023, the following event(s) are scheduled to take place:
- Cadet and IJF Junior Pan American/Oceanian Championships (September 7-10, 2023 - Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
- Cadet World Championships (August 23-27, 2023 - Zagreb, Croatia)
- IJF Junior World Championships (October 4-8, 2023 - Odivelas, Portugal)
- Age: The age division for 2023 includes birth years 2006-2008 for the Cadet category.
- Weight divisions: The contested weights for the Cadets will be: Female 40, 44, 48, 52, 57, 63, 70, +70kg and Male 50, 55, 60, 66, 73, 81, 90 and +90kg.
- Age: The age division for 2023 includes birth years 2003-2008 for the IJF Junior category.
- Weight divisions: The contested weights for the IJF Juniors will be: Female 48, 52, 57, 63, 70, 78, and +78kg and Male 60, 66, 73, 81, 90, 100 and +100kg.
Junior and Cadet Selection Criteria
The 2023 Pan American U15 and U13 Championships will be held from July 14-16 in Lima, Peru.
Athletes in the following age and weight divisions are eligible to compete in this event in 2023:
- Juvenile (U15) (Birth Years 2009-2010): 36 kg, 40kg, 44 kg, 48 kg, 53 kg, 58 kg, 64 kg and +64 kg
- Intermediate (U13) (Birth Years 2011-2012): 28 kg, 31 kg, 34 kg, 38 kg, 42 kg, 47 kg, 52 kg and +52 kg
As the Pan Am U15 and U13 Championships are less than three weeks after the Junior Olympic Championships, the 2023 USA Judo Youth National Championships, March 18-19 in Lubbock, Texas, will serve as the trials for the team.
Naming the team at the conclusion of the Youth Nationals will allow athletes the time to prepare for the tournament as well as ensure that athletes moving into a new age or weight division with the new season are not placed at a significant disadvantage.
- A maximum of four athletes per age and weight category will represent USA Judo at the 2023 Pan American U15 and U13 Championships.
- The gold, silver and bronze medalist in each weight category in the Juvenile division will directly qualify for the Pan Am U15 Team.
- The gold, silver and bronze medalist in each weight category in the Intermediate division will directly qualify for the Pan Am U13 Team.
- A fourth position on the Pan Am U13 and U15 Teams in each weight category will be allocated to the highest ranked athlete on the USA Judo National Roster in the Intermediate (U13) and Juvenile (U15) categories that is current as of March 20, 2023. In order to be eligible for this position, the athlete must hold at least ten (10) points on the roster as of March 20, 2023. This position will be allocated to the highest ranked athlete on the aforementioned roster who was not already selected based upon the individual’s finish at the Youth National Championships.
- Should an event at the Youth Nationals have less than four participants, the remaining team slots will be selected from those holding ten (10) or more points on the USA Judo National Roster that is current as of March 20, 2023 in the order of their position on the roster.
- Should any of the four athletes selected above decline their positions, alternate athletes will be selected from those holding ten (10) or more points on the USA Judo National Roster that is current as of March 20, 2023 in the order of their position on the roster.
In order to be eligible for the 2023 Pan Am U15 and U13 Championship Team, athletes must meet the following criteria:
- Must have been born 2009-2010 if competing in the U15 division.
- Must have been born 2011-2012 if competing in the U13 division.
- Must be a United States citizen, unless they meet the criteria of the International Judo Federation’s (IJF) refugee program and are currently approved with proof of documentation/acceptance from the IJF to participate in this program. Please provide a copy of the documents to
- Athletes currently approved under the IJF refugee program must have also followed the same steps above to earn their position on either the Pan Am U15 or U13 Championship Team.
- As long as an athlete meets the criteria of the International Judo Federation’s (IJF) refugee program and is currently approved with proof of documentation/acceptance from the IJF to participate in this program, then the athlete may compete at USA Judo sanctioned point events and earn points on the USA Judo national roster.
- If you are a recent citizen or hold dual citizenship, you must have secured the necessary approvals to be eligible to represent the United States internationally.
- Must be a current member in good standing with USA Judo at the time of selection and the time of the Pan American U15 and U13 Championships.