Panamerican Open Cordoba
Mar 16, 2019 - Mar 17, 2019 |
190 judo athletes travelled from 26 different countries to Argentina to compete in the 2019 Cordoba Pan American Open.
Team USA fought hard, claiming one silver medal, three bronze medals, three 5th place, and three 7th place finishes this weekend.
- Anne Suzuki (-48kg) had a bye in the first round and won her first match in Golden Score over Caroline Hain of Australia sending her to the Semifinals. There she faced Camila Marcellet of Argentina where she won by ippon in just over two minutes. In the finals, she faced Mary Dee Vargas Ley of Chile where she ultimately fell landing her a Silver medal finish.
- Katelyn Jarrell (-52kg) won her first two preliminary fights over Ayelen Elizeche of Argentina and Judith Gonzalez of Chile, both by ippon, to win her pool. In the Semifinal, she lost to Paulina Martinez of Mexico. In her final match, she would face Team USA teammate, Alain Abuan where she would win by ippon in just over one minute, earning her a Bronze medal finish.
- Amelia Fulgentes (-57kg) lost her first preliminary fight to Jennifer Cruz of Mexico sending her to Repechage. There she faced USA teammate Shadi Ebrahim and ultimately won sending her to the fight for 3rd place. In her final match, she faced Justine Bishop of New Zealand where she won in a match lasting nearly eight minutes long earning her a Bronze medal on the day.
- Nate Keeve (-100kg) won his first two preliminary rounds over Andres Montoya of Columbia and Jason Koster of New Zealand, the second one in just 14 seconds! In the Semifinal, he fell to Cedric Olivar of France. In the fight for third place, he came up victorious and defeated Maksud Ibragimov in just 56 seconds earning him a Bronze medal.
- Alaine Abuan (-52kg) won her first preliminary fight against Agustina Lahiton of Argentina, but fell in her second match to Oritia Gonzalez of Argentina sending her to Repechage. There she won over Team USA teammate Maria Dhami sending her to the fight for 3rd place against another teammate Katelyn Jarrell where she ultimately fell, earning her a 5th place finish.
- Mariah Holguin (-57kg) faced USA teammate Shadi Ebrahim in the first round where she won and went on to the Semifinals. There she fell to Jennifer Cruz of Mexico sending her to the fight for third place. There she ultimately fell to Keyla Vasquez of Columbia landing her a 5th place finish on the day.
- Nicole Stout (-78kg) won her first preliminary match over Melanie Wallis of Australia and faced Liliana Cardenas of Mexico where she fell by ippon. In the fight for 3rd place, she fell to Sarah-Myriam Mazouz of Gabon earning her a 5th place finish.
- Maria Dhami (-52kg) won her first preliminary match over Salome Avila of Argentina but fell in her second preliminary match to Luz Olvera of Mexico sending her to Repechage. There she faced Team USA teammate, Alaine Abuan where she fell and landed a 7th place finish.
- Shadi Ebrahim (-57kg) won her first preliminary match of the day over Elizabeth Segura of Chile but fell in her second match to USA teammate Mariah Holguin sending her to Repechage. There she faced another USA teammate in Amelia Fulgentes where she ultimately fell landing her in 7th for the day.
- Matthew Koch (-90kg) won his first preliminary match over Alejo Brauns of Argentina in just over one minute. He lost his second fight to Francisco Balanta of Columbia sending him to Repechage. There he lost to Antony Jouvert of France landing him a 7th place finish on the day.
The next stop on the tour is the Panamerican Open in Santiago de Chile.
Go Team USA!