USA Judo Senior National Championships Come to Spokane This Weekend
by Nicole Jomantas
(Colorado Springs, CO) – More than 350 athletes will vie for gold medals at the USA Judo Senior National Championships in Spokane, WA this weekend.
The tournament will feature Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls competing in the senior and visually impaired categories as well as veterans (ages 30+), IJF-Junior (ages 20 and younger), brown belt, novice and kata (forms) divisions.
Athletes from more than 35 states are expected to compete in Spokane, including judoka from more than a dozen clubs throughout Washington.
Competition will be held at The Podium Powered by STCU on Saturday and Sunday with the schedule as follows:
Saturday, May 20
Shiai Competition Begins
(Senior, Veterans, IJF-Junior, Visually Impaired, Novice and Brown Belt)
Senior Shiai Gold Medal Finals
(Olympic Non-Round Robin Weight Categories Only)
Sunday, May 21
Kata Competition Begins
Spectator admission on Saturday is $12 at the door for ages 13+ and $6 for ages 9-12. Admission for children ages 8 and under is free. Admission to the kata competition on Sunday is free for all ages.
Top athletes to watch include the following current and former Senior World Team members:
- Maria Laborde (Kenosha, WI / NYAC / Ki-Itsu-Sai National Training Center / 48 kg), two-time Senior World Medalist and 2022 Senior Pan Am Championships bronze medalist
- Ari Berliner (Schenectady, NY / NYAC / Jason Morris Judo Center / 66 kg), two-time Senior World Team member and 2022 Senior Pan Am Championships bronze medalist
- Jack Yonezuka (West Long Branch, NJ / NYAC / Cranford Judo & Karate Center / 73 kg), two-time Senior World Team member and 2022 Junior World bronze medalist
- Dominic Rodriguez (Lehigh Acres, FL / NYAC / Ki-Itsu-Sai National Training Center / 73 kg), two-time Senior World Team member and 2022 Senior Pan American Champion
- Kell Berliner (Schenectady, NY / Jason Morris Judo Center / 81 kg), two-time Senior World Team member and two-time Senior National Champion
- Nick Yonezuka (West Long Branch, NJ / NYAC / Cranford Judo & Karate Center / 81 kg), two-time Senior World Team member and 2021 Senior National Champion
- Alex Knauf (Yorkville, IL / NYAC / Cohen Brothers Judo / 90 kg), 2022 Senior World Team member and two-time Senior National Champion
- Nicole Stout (Schenectady, NY / Jason Morris Judo Center / 78 kg), two-time Senior World Team member and two-time Senior National Champion
- Nate Keeve (San Rafael, CA / NYAC / 100 kg), 2021 Senior World Team Member and two-time Senior National Champion
- Christian Konoval (Richardson, TX / NYAC / Colton Brown Training Center / +100 kg), two-time Senior World Team member and 2022 Senior Pan American Championships medalist
- Mackenzie Williams (El Lago, TX / Westlake Judo Club / +78 kg), two-time Senior World Team member and two-time Senior National Champion
For more information, or to request a media credential, contact Nicole Jomantas, USA Judo Director of Communications, Marketing and Development, at Nicole.Jomantas@usajudo.us.
About Spokane Sports
Founded in 1989, Spokane Sports is a non-profit, economic development organization responsible for recruiting, retaining, and facilitating sports events for the Spokane region. As advocates for sports development, our efforts help our region realize the economic, social, and community development benefits of sports. Learn more by visiting us online.
About The Podium Powered by STCU
Spokane is proud to announce an all new, indoor multi-sport venue. Completed in Fall 2021, this world-class facility is located in the heart of downtown, giving athletes front-door access to restaurants, hotels, and entertainment. The project forged several unique partnerships and funding approaches, all with the intent to generate economic impact and put Spokane on the map for sports tourism.
About USA Judo
A 501-c-3 non-profit organization based in Colorado Springs, USA Judo is the National Governing Body for the sport of judo in the United States. USA Judo serves more than 10,000 members annually, including athletes, coaches, referees, volunteers and supporters. A proud member organization of the International Judo Federation, the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee and the International Blind Sports Association, USA Judo’s mission is to enable all U.S. athletes to achieve sustained competitive excellence in domestic and international judo competition, and the promotion and growth of the sport of judo in the United States.