World Team Members Go for Gold at President’s Cup in Irving, Texas on Sunday
by Nicole Jomantas
(Colorado Springs, CO) – More than 800 athletes from around the nation will fight at the President’s Cup in Irving, Texas on Sunday.
Competition will include athletes fighting in the senior, junior, visually impaired, brown belt and novice divisions at the Irving Convention Center at Las Colinas.
The tournament begins at 8:30 a.m. and concludes at approximately 6 p.m.
Admission is $15 for spectators 13 and older and $10 for those ages 9-12. Children eight and under are free.
This year marks the 10th straight year the President’s Cup has been held in Irving with the senior divisions being highlighted by both 2023 Senior and Junior World Team members, including:
- Chantal Wright (San Antonio, TX / Semper Fortis Judo / 70 kg), five-time Senior World Team member and two-time Senior Pan Am Championships medalist
- Emily Jaspe (Hialeah, FL / Ki-Itsu-Sai National Training Center / 63 kg), two-time Junior World Team member and 2023 Cadet Worlds fifth-place finisher
- Christopher Velazco (Coral Springs, FL / NYAC / Ki-Itsu-Sai National Training Center / 60 kg), two-time Junior World Team member and 2022 USA Judo Senior National Champion
- Joshua Yang (Los Angeles, CA / LA Judo Club / 60 kg), two-time Junior World Team member and 2023 USA Judo Senior National Champion
- Harlee Hiller (Evanston, IL / Cohen Brothers Judo / 52 kg), 2023 Junior World Team member and two-time Junior Pan Am silver medalist at 48 kg
- Jayne Loo (Mercer Island, WA / Budokan Judo Dojo-Japanese Cultural & Community Center of Washington / 52 kg), two-time Junior World Team member and 2023 Junior Pan Am-Oceania Championships bronze medalist at 48 kg
- Kaycie Tanimoto (Fort Worth, Texas / Chandler Judo Academy / 48 kg), 2023 Junior World Team member and 2023 Junior Olympic silver medalist at 52 kg
Athletes competing in the tournament hail from nearly 40 nations as well as 36 states with more than 130 athletes coming from clubs throughout Texas.
A Coaching You Up! booth will be onsite at President’s Cup. Tournament participants, family members and spectators will be able to access educational materials as well as vaccines for COVID-19 and the flu.
The vaccination clinic will be held from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. and is open to the general public.